Sleep beautiful sleep

Thursday, November 6, 2014




I've never been one of those people who does just fine with little sleep, in fact less than 7 hours and I likely turn into a pumpkin. Maybe I'm just one of the lazy ones? But seriously, sleep has always been pathetically important to me.

Allow me to give some background. As a little girl, I was famously known for my "pee-wee fits". Never having a structured bedtime, us kids would fall asleep all over the place. And my dad had the lucky job to wake us up,  carry us to our rooms, and make sure we went to the bathroom.

Unfortunately, this would unravel the beast in a normally quiet, well-behaved little girl. I would scream, kick, and hurl things for hours- refusing to go and hating everything about the world. The next morning my voice would be raw and hoarse, only to be repeated yet again. {I'm not being dramatic one bit.} One night I ripped off all my clothes, tore out out of the house and down the street screaming my guts out. As a dad, what do you do in that moment? The odds most definitely aren't in your favor.



There was also one morning when my older sister Erica, after repeated attempts to wake me up (i.e. first gently prodding, then taking my blankets away, turning on the lights) resorted to pouring water on me. I was beyond infuriated, and yelled every swear and bad word I knew. Which for a 6 year old, wasn't very many. So I repeated them many, many times. As punishment my mouth was washed out with soap shortly after. I still cringe thinking about the chunks of soap caught in between my teeth, and the taste seemed to linger for days.



And so, I tell Alex on a regular basis, "I was born this way". We (aka me) have established time and time again that I am in no way responsible for the things I said when I was half asleep. Which are unfortunately quite cruel. (I.e. the usual "go away and never come back!!" Luckily he finds it funny.)

For good reason, this was probably what frightened me most with having a baby. Getting up in the night...multiple times? To CARE for someone, let alone an infant? A serious recipe for disaster.

Turns out, becoming a mother is magical in a lot of ways. Something kind of like 6th sense comes along with it. So far, there have been no pee-wee fits (to Liam anyway), and thank heavens no running around the apartment complex naked in an angry rage.

But yet, how I dearly, DEARLY miss sleeping more than a 4 hour stretch. Liam wakes up 2-3 times a night, which is actually a huge improvement from a month ago. However, last night was a umm.. horrible and he essentially pulled an all-nighter! Liam, I adore everything about you. But this sleep thing has got to improve.

pretty please?

3 comments:

  1. I read Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth and it changed my life by finally getting Kennedy to sleep through the night. You should look into it! I got it off of Amazon for like $3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im dying. this is so funny.
    sorry about the no sleep though, but what would life be if everything was just how we wanted it, right?! :) good luck:)

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs