Foz do Iguaçu

Sunday, September 16, 2012



This past week, Alex and I visited Iguaçu Falls. I was a little worried it wouldn't live up to its unreal hype, but I promise- it does not disappoint. It has to be the most amazing thing I've seen in my life, and  I already can't wait to go back! 









When everyone kept insisting we stay there at least two days, one day each for the Brazil side and Argentina side- I thought they were nuts. Who needs that much time to see a waterfall? But we did it, and my oh my. You must do it too.

They say when Eleanor Roosevelt visited she proclaimed, "Poor Niagra!" She said it perfectly. The Brazilian side is stunning. You get to see the whole thing, more from a distance. We did the raft/speedboat (you know the ones that look like they'll pop on the first rock, but has the power of a speedboat? Yeah. ) that took us right under one of the falls. For this, don't even bother with the little ponchos. Nothing can protect you, and soak it in! ..literally





We also visited the bird sanctuary on the Brazil side. I'm not an animal person (at all...sorry), but this was surprisingly, legitimately cool. But beware of sassy Toucan's. They are beautiful, and they sure do know it.









This bird has to be the craziest thing I've seen. Seriously, those colors!!





After a full day of "nature", that night Alex woke up to me freaking out about a spider on my pillow, insisting on sleeping by his feet. He looves to egg me on during times like this, and offered to kill the spider. To which I responded, "No thanks- it is too beautiful." Whaaaa, what??



A little dirty secret for you, the Argentine side is even better. The Devil's Throat (Garganta do Diablo) is absolutely insane. From a distance it looks like a big role in the river.


And then you get closer.

 See that little black thing in the bottom left corner? A bird. My journalist Grandpa likes to say Iguaçu makes Niagra look like a peanut, and I have to agree.



Another good thing about the Argentine side is there are many trails for different views. And a little island between the falls that you can take a (free) boat ride to swim and basically be in heaven.









And on the way home, the "Triple Frontier", the tri- boarder between Brasil, Argentina, and Paraguay.




Until next time!





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs